For job changers or anyone nearing retirement, a Rollover IRA can be a flexible transition strategy for their retirement plan assets.
- Keep retirement plan assets potentially growing tax deferred
- Avoid penalties for early distributions from employer-sponsored retirement plans
- Penalty-free early distributions prior to age 59½ for certain purposes, including:
- first-time home purchase expenses ($10,000 lifetime limit)
- qualified higher education expenses
- certain medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of adjusted gross income
- certain unemployment expenses
- death and disability
- Can subsequently roll over into new employer’s plan if permitted
- Expand investment options
- Can consolidate retirement accounts with ease for greater control
- Available to job changers who have assets in a qualified retirement plan
- Available to individuals who are retiring and have assets in a qualified retirement plan
- Available to participants in terminating qualified retirement plans
- More than 80 mutual funds to choose from, including risk/reward based asset allocation funds and target date funds based on asset allocation strategies
- Global asset management expertise of MFS
- Account and fund information access via the Internet and telephone
- Customer service representatives available from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday
- Up to 100% of the distributions from the qualified plan
- May be opened as a direct rollover or distribution check may be payable to participant and then deposited into the Rollover IRA
- If distribution is payable to participant, no more than 60 days may elapse between the distribution and the investment into the Rollover IRA
MFS does not provide legal, tax or accounting advice. Any statement contained in this communication (including any attachments) concerning U.S. tax matters, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. This communication was written to support the promotion or marketing of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed. Clients of MFS should obtain their own independent tax and legal advice based on their particular circumstances.
Keep in mind that all investments, including mutual funds, carry a certain amount of risk including the possible loss of the principal amount invested.
The investments you choose should correspond to your financial needs, goals, and risk tolerance. For assistance in determining your financial situation, please consult an investment professional.