The potential for tax-free distributions in retirement, tax-deferred growth, and a wide range of investment options make the Roth IRA advantageous to many investors focused on trying to accumulate wealth for retirement.
- Earnings potentially grow tax deferred (provided certain requirements are met).
- Qualified distributions are tax free and penalty free after the five-year holding period if taken
- after age 59½
- for first-time home purchase expenses ($10,000 lifetime limit)
- in the event of death or disability
- No age requirements, but there are income limits.
- Not subject to required minimum distributions (RMDs) while owner is alive.
- No dollar limit on the amount that may be converted to a Roth IRA for investors who meet the adjusted gross income limit.
- May help clients build wealth
- May lower income tax liability for beneficiaries
- More than 80 mutual funds to choose from, including risk/reward based asset allocation funds and target date funds based on asset allocation strategies
- Global asset management expertise of MFS
- Account and fund information access via the Internet and telephone
- Customer service representatives available from 8 a.m.to 7 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday
MFS does not provide legal, tax or accounting advice. Any statement contained in this communication (including any attachments) concerning U.S. tax matters, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. This communication was written to support the promotion or marketing of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed. Clients of MFS should obtain their own independent tax and legal advice based on their particular circumstances.
Keep in mind that all investments, including mutual funds, carry a certain amount of risk including the possible loss of the principal amount invested.
The investments you choose should correspond to your financial needs, goals, and risk tolerance. For assistance in determining your financial situation, please consult an investment professional.